Friday, October 23, 2009

Scamp goes Out West


I just returned from a 2 1/2-week driving trip to California...in a Ford Econoline... accompanied by a good friend, his bike, two sleeping bags, and my trusty Maltese, Scamp. I give Scamp credit for adjusting to various conditions of desert, mountain, and ocean without complaint. He was a contented traveler, nestling in his canvas crate in-between the two front seats. I left the top flap unzippered, so he could poke his head out every so often to indicate a need for food or water.

As we drove through the region, I came to appreciate the dog-friendly motels, cafes, and shops that welcomed us. I also became frustrated with inflexible motel policies ("no pets")--especially in Death Valley, where (let's face it) how many lodging options ARE there? And how much damage would a 13-pound, 14-year-old non-shedding Maltese inflict? I even use a doggie diaper at night in case of...

Special thanks to Amy and Dan at Tecopa Hot Springs Resort in the Death Valley area for their especially gracious hospitality. Dan and Scamp developed quite a rapport!

No comments:

Post a Comment